
It didn't go into his lungs, but it stuck in this little pocket. Eventually it will just disintegrate, but he can't have any real solid food yet. His muscles aren't strong enough to push the food down without it getting stuck in that pocket. At least, though, he can officially get rid of the PEG tube because he can drink enough stuff to sustain himself. He actually gained a pound. It's not much, but it's better than losing. Now if I could just find someone who will take the PEG tube out. No luck so far. As a fallback I got the doctor at Lahey to agree to take it out when we go back in early June. If I can find someone in the meantime, great. If not, he'll just have to wait until June. It won't kill him.
Jim just came walking over to me holding a potato chip. "I can eat these now, "he says. I said, "If you can't eat a cookie how the hell did you get that down?" He said it just dissolved. Whatever. He wants me to tell his "fans" that it's sour cream and onion. He's shoving the potato chip bag in my face telling me, "Let's eat potato chips as a family." Everyone who knows Jim knows he's very strange. I'm not that wild about potato chips and besides, I'm struggling to keep weight OFF. He's struggling to keep it ON so they won't hurt him.
So he's getting there. He's come a long way in the month that he's been doing his therapy. Now he's come over to the keyboard. This is him writing....He's suffered tortures of the damned, tortures of the damned.
As for me, I had my follow-up visit at Deborah. Dr. Altimore said I had the right idea to take the beta-blocker every other day instead of every day (allright...that one was Jim's idea). I'm o.k. for now. I have to have another echocardiogram next year to make sure everything is staying stable.
No comments:
Post a Comment