Thursday, July 19, 2007

Thursday July 19, 2007 9:25 PM

Well, the dude has c-diff again.

He didn't feel that great this morning, then was complaining about achiness all day. He thought he might be coming down with a cold. I'm thinking, "All this fuss for a cold....typical guy. You think you're achy NOW? Old age is coming quicker than you think, mister. Just wait to see how achy you get THEN." He stayed home and was the King of Mopey. Around 5 o'clock he comes over to me and says he thinks he knows what the problem is....the c-diff is back. He's been in the bathroom three times in the last hour. So I tell him to page the gastroenterologist in Philly right away and try to get some more flagyl out of her. He's got a follow-up appointment scheduled for Monday anyway but he can't keep going in that condition like he did last time. So she wasn't on call tonight but he got someone else on the team to return the page who asked him a few questions and then said one of two things is going on: either he needed to take the flagly for a longer period of time or they might have to try another anti-biotic. Jim stumbled over the name....v-something....van....vuh..., so I chime in, "Vancomycin!" and he says, "Yeah! That's it!". Damn, I should have been a doctor. But I'd be the first person to fall on the floor watching a surgery...I'd probably barf....so that's not for me.

So I picked up his drugs tonight...they're double to dosage for double the amount of time. I'm going to hurry up and schedule his manometry study before he's off the drugs and God forbid gets sick again. I've read that some people can take a year to get this crap out of their system.

No comments: