Saturday, September 29, 2007

Saturday September 29, 2007 8:18 PM

So here's a funny one. Jim goes back to Speigel for his post-op visit this past Monday. I've got to back up here. We mentioned to Speigel the first time we were there back at the beginning of the summer that we needed him to come up with another diagnosis code so Jim could get another 60 days of Vital Stim therapy out of Aetna. That was when he decided to send Jim to have a manometry study done. Jim had to cancel the first one because he had c-diff. Then when he finally was able to do the manometry Dr. Rivera couldn't get the tube up his nose because of his bone structure, so she had to pack it in. So we went back to Speigel and asked about the Vital Stim again. That was when Speigel scheduled him for the throat stretch surgey. When I spoke with Speigel after the surgery I mentioned Vital Stim again, and he said to bring that up at the post-op visit. So here Jim was in his office, and Speigel says, "Have you ever heard of something called Vital Stim?" DUH. BIG DUH. Jim's happy I wasn't there with him. I would have said, "Hey Dr. Speigel...when we talk to you, do you bother to write anything down? I guess not." On top of THAT, he tells Jim he wants him to have a maonometry done first. Jim reminds him that we tried that already and it didn't work. Speigel says to come to his office before the procedure and he'll numb him up really good, then he'll head down the street to manometry. He said someone from his office would call to schedule it. Well, no one's called, and I don't think it's going to work anyway. But it's just as well, because our insurance may likely change on November 1st anyway, so it's probably better to do this after the change. Speigel also said that Jim's throat is healing nicely, but it's still swollen so he won't feel the full benefit of the surgery yet.

I got a call from the maxiofacial surgeon to schedule Jim's tooth pull. That's set for November 5th. I'm hoping the insurance change won't screw that up, but the surgeon's office told me they accept all the major carriers, so I'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

I'm off to Minnesota tomorrow for another training class. I'm going with Polito. I stocked up the fridge with all kinds of microwaveable food so Jim and Jimmy can eat. One thing about Mom's going on a business trip....a guy can just pack his bags and go. A Mom's got to go food shopping and do all the laundry before she can go.

No comments: