So what's been new this week? Jim's really sucking down those Boost shakes. Boost was on sale at CVS so that's what I got. I asked him if the therapist can send him for another swallow study so we can finally get a doctor's blessing on him doing this, but Beth (the therapist) said he has to attend 14 sessions first. Beth taught him how to do his Mendelsohn Maneuver. This involves holding up the Adam's apple for a period of time and then letting it go. She says he's making great progress and he's come a long way but the swallow is still not normal. I have to keep stopping Jim from going too far with his drinking experimentation. He admitted this week to trying some of the meat from a sub that I brought home. Today he's talking about trying ice cream. I warned him...if you can't get that down just SPIT IT OUT! Then he wanted to try swallowing his pills. NO WAY I told him. Can you imagine your next bronchoscopy? They'll be pulling out pills, Boost shakes, italian ice, an old shoe, the kitchen sink, etc. PACE YOURSELF and BE CAREFUL!
As for me, I think my lupus might be starting to flare. It's probably the stress. My left foot is killing me right along the bone that I broke 12 years ago, and both my knees were killing me yesterday but this morning that's gone. That Lupus' modus operandi- at least for me over the years. One day it would be the left elbow, then the right knee, then the left foot, etc., etc. Every day was a new adventure. But I really never let it bother me too much. I'd laugh about it and say, "Look what an old lady I am!" and keep going. So bring it on...I can take it. I've got to go out and weed the flower beds in front of the house today so I don't have time for this stuff. At least now if it hits my digestive system I have the drugs to counteract it.
And speaking of being an old lady....I went up to Princeton on Friday and when I got home I'm looking at the mail that Jim brought in. He starts yelling (well, as loud as he can yell) "Don't read it! Don't read it!" and I don't know what he's talking about. Well, he was talking about THIS from Reunions Unlimited, addressed to me of course..."We're all getting ready for a gala twenty-five year reunion on November 3, 2007." Twenty-five years? Let me crawl under a rock now.
Jim's spirits are brightening, and he's doing some chores around the house. Thank God because I can't do it all. I've got to get Jim out to get some excercise. He wasn't one to do excercise when he was healthy, so it's going to be even more difficult now. But I think it sunk in to him how much he needs it because he and Jimmy were wrestling this morning and Jim realized that Jimmy could easily get the better of him. When a six-year-old can kick your ass it's time to get yourself back in shape.
Sunday, April 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment