Jim's therapy must be working because suddenly you can hear his swallow. No one probably pays attention to that when you're eating, but listen next time and you'll notice that your swallow makes a noise. Jim's was only making this noise when he had the electrodes strapped to his neck during his therapy sessions. Today you could hear it a large portion of the time. He was all excited. "Listen, listen," he says to me as he takes a sip of his chocolate drink...all happy about it. Even though he's really not supposed to yet, he started using the Ensure drinks in small sips instead of the stuff through his feeding tube. He's not going for an official swallow study for a couple more weeks so the official ban on liquids other than water won't be lifted until then, but he's been sipping stuff for about a week so I guess if it was going down the wrong pipe he would have gotten sick by now. I still get nervous every time I see him with a cup, though. "You be careful with that! I don't want to have to take you back to the hospital!" I'm not going to argue with him about the Ensure. If it were me with the problem I would have done the same thing.
The poor guy's got to go back to the dentist. The spot where they pulled three of his teeth in the hospital is still bothering him, so I've got to call Dr. Drain. Yes, Dr. Drain. What a name for a dentist, right?
If you sent Jim a work-related e-mail in the past couple of months he's ploughing through them now...all 638 of them. So please be patient.
Tuesday, April 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment