Okay....things just get better and better. Shortly after my last post on Wednesday I'm sitting on the couch in the family room enjoying my Judge Judy marathon and a god awful storm starts rolling in...buckets of rain, banging thunder, lighting all over the place. And guess what...the house gets hit by lightning. There was a huge sound like an explosion, the house shakes like an earthquake hit, and the smoke detectors start going off. Both air conditioning units go out (we have two zones), the GFCI outlets trip, the garage door opener stops working, both phone lines die, and suddenly the sprinklers start going off in the backyard, even though that unit is just a battery operated thing hooked to two hoses. But we never lost power. Now, I used to be handy out of necessity because my ex was not handy at all, but since I've been married to Jim I haven't had to be. If something goes wrong I can just yell, "JIM!" and he takes care of it. Well, now I'm in the house by myself (Jimmy slept through the whole thing like a rock) and the handy brain synapses had to kick in and now I'm running around...checking for holes in the house, checking circuit breakers, checking that the refrigerators are still on, finding the reset button on the garage door opener, getting the GFCI's reset, etc. I was scared to death and thinking, of ALL days I have to be alone here it had to be today.
So the next morning I'm on the horn with the HVAC guy and Verizon. Luckily my HVAC units are covered under a service contract. As soon as the guy opens up the panel on the first unit he says, "I smell something burnt..." Yeah- no kidding. So the control board on that one was fried but he was able to bypass a bad relay and at least get the thing to turn on so I could have air downstairs. The only bad thing is now the blower will never shut off so I'd have to manually flip the disconnect switch if I want to kill it. The upstairs unit not only has a fried board, but the compressor is fried as well. So it's been 90 degrees here with high humidity and we can't get the upstairs unit fixed until next week when the compressor comes in. But it wasn't too bad because at least I have ceiling fans. Hell...I grew up with no air conditioning so I can always go get a box fan like we used to have when I was a kid. Verizon came and said that the fuses on the outside of the house had fried so he replaced those and I had phone again. The garage door opener guy is coming Monday.
Right in the middle of this I get a call from Jim that he's being released. I told him he's going to have to sit his ass in the lobby because I can't leave the house to come and fetch him yet. Luckily, his parents came a few hours later and his Dad and I headed into Philly and picked him up.
He's feeling much better today and will go back into the office on Monday. Unless some other catastrophe happens. Now we've got to wait until he's done with his 11 days of flagyl and try to get all his procedures rescheduled. No one will do surgery on him if he's got infection in his body.
Friday, June 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment