Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Wednesday June 27, 2007 9:01 PM

JIM HELD HOSTAGE, DAY THREE. Yup...he's still in the hospital. The bad thing about this stint is that the visiting hours at Jefferson are much more restrictive than they were at Lahey, plus I have to take the train into Philly, so I can never be there when the doctors are making rounds, and I have to rely on what Jim tells me about what's going on. Today Jim tells me that they're not SURE if he has C-diff yet...they're growing the culture in a petri dish somewhere, but they're treating him as if he has it anyway. And today he had a sigmoidoscopy. Mmmm mmmm. Those are fun. I'm sure several of you readers out there have had one of those, especially if you're over 40. It's like the poor-man's colonoscopy. That's when they pump air up your butt and check the lower part of your colon. I think it's so stupid, though, because that test only checks one third of your colon, not the whole thing like a colonoscopy would. But who am I....I'm just the wife.

They've been giving Jim regular meals and he's been as creative as he can trying to get them down. Last night he cut the roast beef into tiny pieces and then covered them in mashed potatoes so they would slide down and not get stuck. But today they "forgot" to bring him dinner so they scrounged up some jello for him. They want to see how his colon reacts with food in his system. According to him, the flagyl is making him feel a lot better and there's a possibility he may get out tomorrow. The only positive thing is that I can watch whatever tv shows I want....no Roswell shows...no Military channel...no "out-there" theories of the universe....no numerology and the Bible. I've got my DVR and I'm going to have a Judge Judy marathon tonight.

Jimmy's worried. He told me tonight that he's scared Daddy will be in the hospital a long time. He also got in trouble at camp today. Now get this....while I'm in Jim's hospital room I get a call from some idiot at camp who asks me if we've taught Jimmy that he should keep his hands to himself. I SOOOOO wanted to tell her, "No...we told him he should go up into a bell tower with an automatic rifle and start picking people off...." What kind of an asinine question is THAT to ask a parent? But I have to restrain myself because I'll only make things harder for Jimmy if I open my mouth. Turns out that Jimmy made a magic wand in Harry Potter group today and some kid on the bus was trying to take it from him, so Jimmy whacked the kid with it. Now, I know Jimmy shouldn't have whacked the kid with it....o.k.....but what happens when you take a bone away from a dog? Yup...you get your hand bit. But I put the fear of God into Jimmy tonight and told him if that happens again just tell the counselor....don't try to take matters into your own hands...or you're going to get thrown out of camp.

No comments: