Sunday, October 26, 2008

Sunday October 26 2008 12:30 PM

Jim had an appointment with Vanni this week but forgot about it. He rescheduled, but for AFTER November 1st, so that's not going to do us any good. Jim was going to call the office and ask if Vanni participates in our new dental insurance, but couldn't remember the name of the company. He could have always called me to ask, but no. I think that's just a man thing. This is probably why single men die before married men. They can't make their own doctor's appointments.

After my endo didn't change my meds or do anything for me about my drastic weight gain, I found another doctor. Now, this is kind of an interesting story and I'm hopeful about the outcome. Jim and I love to watch the show Mystery Diagnosis. To me it's like a quiz show...I guess about 25 percent of the diseases. I'll say something to Jim like "It's Marfan's Syndrome! Let's see if I'm right!" If you've never watched the show, they follow people's odysseys trying to find help for their ongoing health problems, and get jerked around by various doctors along the way, then finally, years later, get a correct diagnosis and get some help. I also like the show because it's a good laugh. I sit there talking to the t.v...."What an asshole!"...."How typical!"...."What ELSE is new!" I yell at the screen. So it's interactive fun for me. A few months ago there was a case of this poor woman who suffered for many years...I can't remember what her disease was...but she finally found an endocrinologist in White Plains NY who took the time necessary and helped her. She raved about how fabulous this guy was. Well, I wrote the guy's name down in case I couldn't get any help locally. Last week I called his office. I figured it would take months to get in, if I could get in at all, because you know how endocrinologist are! Well, his receptionist was an absolute doll on the phone, and I don't know if she felt sorry for me or what, but he can take me this Monday, so I'm am SO THERE! The guy only sees eight patients a day. Jim suggested I write out a timeline when all of symptoms started, so that's what I'm working on today. I was debating if I should bring Jim or not. One, I like driving long distances alone...I can blast my music without anyone rolling their eyes. Two, since Jim's had such an interesting medical journey, the doctors like talking about his issues and mine get pushed by the wayside (see Doctor Altimore). Three, maybe the guy will think I have Munchhausen sydrome and am just looking for attention, but people with Munchhausen are very ingratiating to the medical profession. I am anything BUT ingratiating to the medical profession...I am their adversary, but maybe this guy won't see that. But on the other side of the issue, maybe having Jim there to back up what I'm saying will be helpful. I'm kind of animated and sarcastic and some doctors think I'm a little crazy so Jim can at least lend credence to my plethora of complaints. So in the end I opted for Jim coming with me. The in-laws are coming to spend the night because we have to be out the house at the crack of dawn tomorrow. I'm a little anxious because I'm hoping this guy won't blow me off.

No comments: