Yes...it's 12:15 a.m. I fell asleep in front of the t.v. for four hours tonight so now I'm wired.
Turns out my endo appointment was today. They called the other day to remind me. So much for me making sure I put all this stuff on my calendar. So I go to see Dr. Jennings and I tell him the latest news...I tell him how I coerced McAndrew into running the blood tests and urine tests, and I tell him the story about McAndrew's office not reading the whole document. He looks at it and says that LabCorp didn't even run all of the tests...there's a section in there that lists tests, but no results. Now, one of the things I wanted McAndrew to check on the urine test was my cortisol levels to see if I had Cushings disease. The other tests were for a pheo, like Jim had. Now, I don't believe for one second that I have a pheo, but two doctors have mentioned that I should test for it, so I figured if I have to pee in a jar for 24 hours anyway, why not run that too. Dr. Jennings said the tests that LabCorp didn't do were some of the pheo tests, most likely because they would be affected by the acid level in the urine, and once they saw the level was too high they just stopped testing.
Remember how I've said in the past that when I bitch about my weight gain he just asks me if I exercise and is very dismissive? Well, he was actually in a compassionate mood today, which surprised me. I said to him, "Something is very wrong with my metabolism" and he says, "What makes you say that?" Now, I almost laughed at that point. What makes me SAY that? What have I been yammering on about for the last six months? Every appointment I say the SAME thing, but today he wants to listen? O.k. So I give him the rundown. AGAIN. Then he draws blood. Then he congratulates me on making McAndrew runs those tests, and says something to the effect of, "Most patients know when something's wrong, better than their doctors." Oh, no kidding buddy. Why didn't you think that way the LAST time I was pleading for help?
I didn't leave with any earth-shattering info from him because he likes to run the bloodwork first, then call you with the details later. The one thing I did leave the office with was a note from him to give to my shrink giving his permission for the shrink to take me off trileptal. I've been stuck between a rock and a hard place because 1) the shrink doesn't think I'm bipolar, but it was the thyroid freaking out that gave me the symptoms of bipolar, 2) the shrink wants to ultimately take me off the trileptal, 3) I have discovered that the thyroid meds are interfering with the action of the trileptal, because since my thyroid med dosage was upped on my last endo visit, the evening dose of trileptal doesn't make me sleepy anymore, 4) can the trileptal be preventing the thyroid meds from working properly? I don't know, but it's obvious they don't play well in the sandbox together, and 5) the shrink won't take me off the trileptal until my thyroid is stable. Since I'm still gaining weight for no reason he doesn't think my thyroid is stable. I tried backing off the trileptal myself a couple of weeks ago by a half a pill, and the next day I was crawling out of my skin, so I'm not doing that without help.
Saturday, October 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment