We went to White Plains again today for my follow-up with Dr. Melville. The verdict? Besides having reactive hypoglycemia, which means low blood sugar AFTER eating, I've got one messed up thyroid, despite having been on meds since May. My TSH shot up to nearly 10 when it needs to be at a minimum below 3. So everyone who yammered at me that I'm just getting to be middle-aged and should just accept my weight gain needs to eateth of the great crow bird. Dr. Melville is ditching the Armour thyroid and starting me on Synthroid, but it will take at least four to six weeks to start to work, and may even need to be adjusted further after that, so it still looks like I'm in for a long haul, but at least maybe I'm getting somewhere. If I could just get myself to the point where diet and exercise would at least PRODUCE SOME RESULTS I'd be happy. Cause diet and exercise aren't producing shit right now.
What's really sad is that I had begged Dr. Jennings to switch me months ago, but Jennings has got a real hard on for that Armour shit, and I don't know why. Probably because it's "all natural", but so is cow dung and that's not good for much other than growing plants. Dr. Melville explained that the problem with Armour is that it's made from pig thyroid, and it's very inconsistent in dosage because todays' batch of dead pigs could have been a little hypothyroid, so a pill marketed as 30 mg may only contain 20 mg, and the next batch of pigs could be hyperthyroid, so a pill marked 30 mg may actually contain 40 mg. If Jennings had at least recognized that the Armour wasn't doing it for me I could have saved myself a lot of money, time, trouble and multiple trips to White Plains. But it is what is it. Oh, and my thyroid antibodies where through the roof. High normal is 40. Mine was 275.
So we'll see. I'll hang in there and hope Melville is on to something.
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment