Monday, January 26, 2009

Monday January 26, 2008 10:58 PM

Yay! Yay! Yay! If you could see me, you'd know that I'm doing the happy dance right now. No, I didn't win the lottery, but even better. I finally got Dr. Marshall to do something about my waist meatloaf that came to visit but won't leave.

He dialed down my thyroid meds last visit, and after almost a week I packed another three pounds on in two days. At that point I had HAD it. I'm DONE. I need him to do something NOW, not in March, so I called his office on Friday. I told him what was happening and asked him nicely if there was anyway he could "play with my insulin levels" now instead of waiting until March, because by then I could be ANOTHER twenty pounds heavier and I can't take it anymore. He was out of the office and didn't have my file in front of him but promised to call on Monday. So he called me late in the day today and said he was going to call in a prescription for metformin, which is really a drug for type 2 diabetes. I don't have diabetes....yet....but I have insulin resistance, so this should help my body use the insulin it's making. Basically how it works is, you eat, your body makes insulin. If you're insulin resistant the body says...."I can't use this insulin...make more insulin", so the body makes more, and then the body says..."I still can't use this insulin....make more insulin...." and in the end, what you eat plants itself around your waist. His theory makes sense to me. Everyone on my father's side of the family has type 2 diabetes, so I probably drew the short straw when it comes to genetics. Dr. Marshall warned me about the side effects of the drug...diarrhea is the most common for the first few days until you get used to the meds, so he told me when I start taking it, don't make any plans for any long bus trips to Atlantic City. Mom said to me tonight...."Diarrhea? You probably wouldn't even notice it." Meaning I've been suffering with that on and off for years, so who cares. If I could cope with inflammatory bowel disease I can handle it. And I lived through c-diff for Christ sake. If my head winds up hanging in the toilet non-stop, I don't know about that one. Could be a deal-breaker for me, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Dr. Marshall says if this Plan A doesn't work, he's got a Plan B and a Plan C up his sleeve.

The script wasn't called in tonight so I couldn't pick it up. I'm raving at Jim...."I need my skinny meds! I need my skinny meds! Don't you understand? I need them NOW, husband!" He just laughs at me.

As for Jim's $2500 dental bill.....I called Vanni's office last Friday and asked them if this bill was for future work that Vanni's planning on doing, or is it for work already done? They said it was for future work. Well, why haven't you put it through insurance then? We don't get much of a dental benefit....2K per year, which doesn't go very far....but it's still 2K, right? They were supposed to call me back today. Never heard anything. I'll have to hunt them down tomorrow.

No comments: