Sunday, February 25, 2007

Sunday February 25, 2007 10:12 PM

So we got to see Jim twice today. The nurses that he's had are fabulous. I haven't seen hide not hair of that other little twit that was his LAST ICU nurse, thank God, or we'd be calling the Miele bail-bonds fund.

Jim is still in the ICU and probably will be until Wednesday. He has a breathing tube but he's off the respirator, meaning there's a tube delivering moist oxygen to him, but he's doing the breathing on his own. Right now he has all kinds of tubes coming off of him draining the blood out of his stomach and everywhere else in his body that the blood wound up when he bled out. Tonight Nick , Judy, my mother, Joe, and Jimmy all went out to dinner, then went back to the ICU after the shift change tonight. Jim was conscious and desperate to write. I told him, "You're going to get me in trouble with this....they're going to throw me out of here if you get excited."

This is kind of how the "conversation" went:

Jim: In the ICU?

Me: Yes, you're in the ICU again.

Jim: What happened?

Me: I gave him a brief synposis of what happened, but assured him he looked great...much better than he did after the last surgery...you've had a little setback but a year from now we'll go on a nice trip and laugh about the whole thing...Just hang in there for me and for Jimmy.

Jim: Was XXXXXXXX an asshole? (making a reference to something that happened the other day, but I won't go into it here.

Me: (relieved that he obviously has no brain damage because he could remember this) No, he was very nice. Don't worry anout it.

Jim: You sure he wasn't an asshole?

Me: No, no, no. Everything's fine.

Then he wants to write more. I said, "Jim, stop. You need to rest. They're going to throw my ass out of here if you keep getting excited. No more writing.

But he's desperate to write some more and banging his fist.

Jim: I can't kill myself with a pencil. Am I allright?

Me: Of course you're allright. Would you be able to write all this if you weren't allright? You'll be fine, baby. Just a setback. We'll get through this.

Jim: Did Jimmy see me like this?

Me: No- they won't let him in here because he's too young. And I knew you wouldn't want him to see you like this.

He nodded in agreement and was crying. I told him to stop...you're going to get sicker and pop a stitch or soemthing. Well, he went on to write in about half the little notebook. Luckily his father had one in his pocket. He wrote about how great the nurses were. I hope the one we get tomorrow is good.

So Jimmy's going home with my parents tomorrow morning, unless the snow is too bad. We're going to keep him out of school this week because the logistics just aren't going to work to get him back to Sicklerville. I've had one of my neighbors (thank you so much!) watch the cats for the last few days and I've got a professional pet sitter coming in for the rest of the week through the weekend. Hopefully by then Jim's parents will feel comfortable enough to go back to my house and we can get Jimmy back to his routine.

No comments: