Sunday, April 1, 2007

Sunday April 1, 2007 7:12 PM

I got him to actually SHOWER today, and as of 7 pm he's up to four cans of "food". He promises to get one more in before bed, so we're close to what he's supposed to do. He still needs to do more breathing treatments than he's doing. He's savoring that last italian ice in the freezer. I made a deal with him...you follow the doctors' instructions and I'll get you more italian ice. He did a couple of little chores the last couple of days, so at least he's getting up and around somewhat.

Tomorrow's his first Vital Stim therapy appointment. He was doing some research on it today and according to Vital Stim, the therapy works in about 70 percent of cases and the average number of visits to get your swallow back is 14. There was a testimonial video from a guy who lost 100 lbs before he got his swallow back. Of course, Jim is using this as some kind of justification....see, that guy lost 100 lbs! Well, I told him, you don't have 100 lbs to lose! Jim's Dad doesn't seem to get it. He doesn't understand that this is therapy...it will take time. He calls me tonight and says, "I hope he gets good news tomorrow." For the umpteenth time I told him, listen, the Walton's Easter Miracle is only on t.v. He's not going to walk in there tomorrow and they say, "Oh, Mr. Primiani- you're cured! Here's a pizza!"

No comments: