So I got Jim on the phone this morning and he sounded pretty good. But apparently he had a really, really bad night last night. This is from his note:
"Let me get through this night, please. This is the worst. My neck was leaking, so I had to get if fixed- no big deal- now my damn i.v. is giving out, and every one of these numbskulls can't put a new line in. I can do this, but it will not be easy. I need the i.v. line for morphine...old people are screaming...it's a circus. I can't take this....Alright- finally got a new i.v. line- took her 15 minutes to do, but who cares. She almost cried looking at me in pain. Anyway- the nurse came back, gave me my meds and my morphine, and now I'm o.k.- finally o.k. A new day. If I can live through that I can live through the rest of this. My swallowing is already improving. I am confident again. I can do this. I can do this. I will do this. So I have to master the art of swallowing again. Something you normally take for granted, but I can't. Anyway, the tumor's gone, now begins the relearning. That's probably why I'm sitting here watching "Dirty Jobs"."
I went out today and bought Jim one of those portable DVD players, and we had some "News Radio" DVD's, so that perked him up a lot. I think he's really looking forward to his parents, Jimmy, and his friends coming up over the weekend. He actually let the nurse's aid put one of those dry shampoo cap things on his head. The aide asks me, "Are you two married?" and I said, "You can TELL, can't you?" But if nothing else tells you he's improving the fact that he's rolling his eyes at me and busting my chops says it all. And at least he's not the worst looking case in this ward anymore. Wooo....let me tell you. There's a few in here I think they've got the hole dug for already. Yes- I know I'm going to hell for that one.
And thanks to the Miele men with the sick minds (you know who you are) who sent Jim the package with two wacky things in it. I won't mention what they are, but I'll say this. One was tame enough to leave out in Jim's room in plain view. The other one had to be hidden away. You think THIS blog's not p.c.- oh boy.
Other than that, nothing new. I've got my stress test at 7 a.m. tomorrow, so leave me a voicemail if you need me because I'll be out of commission for a little while. I'm leaving my four cell phones....yes four cell phones...in the car. I've got my personal one, my Miele one, Jim's personal one (because it's the only number Jim's Dad ever programmed into his phone) and Jim's Miele one. It's really hilarious when three of them are ringing at once. That's been my record so far.
Thursday, February 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment