I felt so lousy when I got up this morning. I guess you can't mix Xanax, Valium, and cold medicine. I really wanted to get on the road early to get down to my mother's but Jim called and was babbling about something to do with his computer hookup in the room, so I got myself together and got over there. I think it must be either the morphine or his high fever or both, because he somehow thought he was supposed to be plugged into the computer. I don't know. And then the more questions I ask to try and understand what he's talking about the more frustrated he gets with me. Well, in comes Dr. Tannas who changes his dressings where the little leak was under his chin and decides to order a CT scan to see what's going on. Jim was comfortable so I left for NJ. I found that on the medication you can't talk on the cell phone and drive at the same time, but of course everyone was calling me, so it took longer to get here. We had cake for Jimmy, and I did my laundry. Mom and Joe left about 5 pm to go take Jimmy down to my in-laws so they can bring him home for the week. I'm now here in Bloomfield finishing my laundry myself. Mom and Joe are trying to get me to stay overnight but I'm not having it. What's up with this new test washer? You can't get it to just spin, so I'm going to have to wait two hours for the dryer to finish now. I love my 1918!
I talked to Dr. Tannas tonight. The CT scan came back fine. The problem is his lungs. They had the infectious disease specialist come look at him and gave Jim three antibiotics. They're going to give those a couple of days to work, and if not they're going to give him what's called a broncoscopy. That's where they basically stuck a tube down your throat and vacuum the crap out of the lungs manually. Dr. Tannas also says Jim's larynx isn't TOO bad, but it's no better than it was during the first swallowing test. Jim just THINKS it is because he really can't feel it properly. They said after all is said and done they may transfer him to a rehab facility to do therapy with him, but they are confident that eventually he will eat on his own again. They're going to try a rehab facility close to our home so we can at least get the HELL out of this place and be somewhat of a family again. But they don't expect Jim to get out of Lahey until at least mid-month.
So I'll be heading back to Boston pretty damn late tonight. If you need me in the morning, e-mail instead of call. I'm so exhausted I have GOT to get a little rest, and I don't expect to be back in Massachusetts until at least midnight.
Sunday, March 4, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment